Thursday, 2 July 2015

Last days of NYC

Hey hey

So this post comes at much delay due to me falling ill and then trying to pack in what I could with what little time I had left. Also just the sheer fact that time got away from me. My time in NYC was spectacular. Everything was new. And exciting. And just absolutely magnificent. 

I spent Friday taking the opportunity to travel downtown and see the 9-11 memorial museum. I found the experience powerful as I expected, but not for the reasons that people seemed to be warning me about. For me it was a learning experience. Being 4 at the time of 9-11, I have no memory of the event at all, and all knowledge I had prior to my visit to the museum was diluted by the fact that it was an event that happened half way across the globe. So as I spent a few hours making my way through, following the time line of that days events I found myself being realising the expanse of that day. I saw people around me crying and being totally overwhelmed but for me I the whole experience was about learning how it all played out. Very powerful and I definitely left feeling like I understood further about what that day means to so many. 


After the museum I met up with Andy again and we did some walking around Wall St and we walked across Brooklyn Bridge. It was a fantastic afternoon and afterwards I headed off to Matilda with Jess. 


On Saturday I headed out to Queens with Jess and some of her friends to have Yum Cha lunch. The fairly long commute was definitely worth it and it was an awesome chance to see a little bit more of NYC. After lunch I went to the must see Grand Central Station and it was everything like I'd seen on TV. (plus there was a chunk of it turned into an Apple store which was cool). Ducking into the Hard Rock Cafe on my way home I also went past the box office to get a ticket to see Jim Parsons in An Act of God. Which was hilariously spectacular. Unfortunately it rained heavily at the time of stage door so he didn't stick around long. But he still signed my playbill :)


Sunday I was completely out of action due to being sick and bed ridden. :( 
However on Monday (being careful) I met up with Yooga and we headed out on the Staten Island ferry to see the Statue of Liberty.

We did very little wandering on Staten Island before heading back on the Ferry. That afternoon I lined up again at tkts and bought at ticket for my final Broadway show. Kinky Boots. It was fantastic and although I had the cut my time at stage door short due to still feeling unwell it was totally worth being out for such an awesome finale to my Broadway shows. 


My final full day in NYC came too soon and I tried to take the day slowly enough to take it all in. I headed off to the Guggenheim museum (brilliant architecture, like seriously), then walked around a bit of the Upper East Side before relaxing in Central Park. After a spectacular day and then a highly encouraged dinner at 5 guys (thanks Joel) I met up with Andy once again and showed him the Stardust diner, thus taking my visits there to a total of 4. 

After some wonderful cheesecake and very welcome company I farewelled NYC by heading to the Top of the Rock. With slightly chilly winds and my head literally in the clouds I took in the beautiful city that I'd spent over 2 weeks in. 


I don't think that I could live in NYC, but I do hope that I get back there sometime with other people to share places I went and to see more of such an amazing (and real) city. 


NYC. 
Justine 

No comments:

Post a Comment